Remember: the time you feel lonely is the time you most need to be by yourself. Life’s cruelest irony.–Douglas Coupland-
I feel lonely when…
- I feel lonely when… people misinterpret my intentions, or tell me they do not believe me when I tell them that is not what I meant.
- I feel lonely when… I want to talk about my troubles with a loved one, but I can’t. I worry how my sad news will impact them, so I don’t say what is on my mind.
- I feel lonely when… I get really upset about corruption, injustice, violence, or prejudice- and everyone around me thinks I am being too intense.
- I feel lonely when… my mood is different from everyone else around me. If I am at a party, and everyone else is laughing and having a good time, then I feel like my presence is just going to bring everyone down.
- I feel lonely when… people stop talking to me, because they are mad at someone I associate with.
- I feel lonely when… I am passionate about an idea, project, or cause, and no one around me seems as interested or excited.
- I feel lonely when… people keep information from me, because they worry I am going to get emotional or “overreact”.
- I feel lonely when …I know I am being misunderstood and I try to explain myself, and the other person says they don’t want to talk about it. They tell me I need to stop bringing up the past and just “get over it.”
- I feel lonely when… I don’t find a sarcastic joke funny or enjoy teasing, and I am told to lighten up.
- I feel lonely when… people call me needy or codependent thinking I constantly need to be in contact with people, when all I really want is to be acknowledged and accurately heard.
So yeah, my conclusion for me is that I do not feel lonely in the absence of people. I enjoy alone time and solitude. I feel lonely in the presence of people who misunderstand me. To me that is the epitome of feeling alone.
Author, Michelle Lynn, is a podcaster on The Captain’s Pod, and she creates content specifically for HSP’s, empaths, introverts, INFJ’s, and Myers-Briggs enthusiasts. Her weekly podcast, HSP S.O.S. (Highly Sensitive Persons Supporting Our Sensitivity), can be found on The Captain’s Pod website and Facebook. Also connect with her on Twitter @hsp_sos.